Pages

home about contact

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

25 Day Challenge - Day 21

With or Without Ego
I hate to admit it, but no matter how much I don't like it, I do have a certain amount of ego in me.  I think that to a certain extent, most people have it.  To be 'without' ego as the challenge calls it, seems to me like an incredible high place to be.  I admire those who are without ego and wish I could be more like that.

When people disagree with me, depending on the issue, my reactions vary from a "lemme bite my tongue" to [thinking] "How DARE you, where do you think you get the right from to say that!?"  I wish I didn't, but I do. 

The 'act' part of the challenge calls for having the humility to ask a younger person for advice and to give it your honest consideration.  Kai is not feeling well today, so it looks like I won't be really able to do that, but it does remind me of a story that my husband once told me about his mother.

I never met my MIL, as she passed away a month before David and I started dating.  But when David was younger, she would often ask his advice on matters that seemed way out of his league (e.g. finances, life choices, relationship matters, etc.).  Whenever his mom would ask his opinion or advice about something the thought that would go through his mind was "wow, that's some big stuff.  I'd better come up with a good and well-thought over answer".
It gave David the feeling that he was valued and that his opinions were valued.

And being valued ties back to the 'think' element of the challenge: "I am unique and as valuable as everyone else."  And everyone (in some way) has flaws.  If I am able to accept my own flaws (and those of others) and respect myself and others in the process, I think I'm on the right track to be a bit more 'without ego'.

Tomorrow's Challenge:

On Making Mistakes
Mistakes matter.  How you recover from them matters even more.  The best way to handle a mistake is to learn from the mistake.  Then you'll not repeat it nor ever be paralysed by the fear of making another mistake.

Click here for the 'pause - think - act' elements of the challenge.


signature2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope you are doing great. Gave you some awards on my site...

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails