Pages

home about contact

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Friday Faves - Week 3


Welcome to Week 3 of the Friday Faves.  Read, enjoy, learn, get ideas and finally, leave your thoughts regarding next week's Friday Faves. 

Also, if you have any topics that you would like to see covered in Friday Faves, put them in your comment.  I may use them in one of the upcoming Friday Faves list of questions.

Let's jump right in, shall we?



1. Favorite Family Car
We have a Toyota Prius and a Honda Passport.  I can't really call our Prius the family car, even though I am driving it around with 2 car seats in the back.  The Honda is old (as in almost antique) and when Ryder moves to the convertible car seat (and is still rear facing), hubby and I will swap cars as a rear facing car seat doesn't fit in the Prius (unless you shove the passenger seat under the dashboard).  Anyways, we've been looking at cars and love love love the Buick Enclave.  3 rows, spacious, cargo room, blue tooth, everything we would want.  Now it's just a matter of saving, saving and saving.
Mommy Merritt mentions the Honda Pilot for its spaciousness.  We test drove that one as well and yes, it's got a good amount of room.  Perfect for kids.
Emily mentions the Mitsubushi Outlander, which is very comfortable.
And then there is Joey.   She brings up a point that I would have never thought of until it had become a problem for me: the ease of buckling seat belts.  Her hubby has a Subaru Legacy that tries to hide the seat belt buckles.  She says: "It makes it impossible for my daughter to click it on her own."  You see, my kids aren't of the age yet where they can do that themselves, but Joey's response will stick with me the next time I go car shopping.

2. Favorite store for kids' clothes
Adriel mentions a store called "Cotton Kids".  Unfortunately, for us living the the US, they only have stores in the Downunder continent and Asia.  That's a darn shame.
Emily, similar to myself, enjoys dressing her little man like a, well, 'little man' and therefore often shops at OshKosh.  Mommy Merritt and I would add to that the Children's Place.  Cool stuff, reasonably priced.
Other stores that were mentioned were Land End, Old Navy, Gymboree and don't forget about the second hand and consignment stores!  Kids grow out of their clothes before they wear them out, so these are places to get some good finds for a steal.

3. Favorite family dinner
I would say that at our house that would (currently) be meatballs (made with spices I have my mom send from The Netherlands), pan fried potatoes and either broccoli or celery.  As long (as for Kai) there is ketchup on the side, we're all set.
At Emily's house it's crock pot chicken with salsa, while Mommy Merritt's fave is green chili chicken enchiladas.  Her 3-year old loves it.  Gimme the recipe! Gimme gimme gimme!  It seems like chicken is the big winner as Melanie puts BBQ chicken, corn and mashed potatoes at #1.

4. Favorite Kids' Movie
Both my husband and I are crazy about all the Pixar movies.  You just cannot go wrong with them.  Kids love them and there is even stuff in there for adults to not only enjoy, but also appreciate. Our favorites are Disney's Cars and Finding Nemo. 
Both Melanie and Joey mention Toy story, which is funny as I seem to continuously run into Toy Story items now that I have decided that that is the next movie I am going to get Kai.     
Disney's The Little Mermaid is a favorite at Mommycrat's and Emily's houses.  The movie is a fav of both moms and it seems they can't wait for their little ones to start watching it.

5. Favorite way to trim your child's nails
Oh my, what a challenge this can be.  I envy those moms whose kids let them trim their nails.  You have no idea how easy your life is!!  Depending on his mood, Kai will allow me to do it while he downs a sippy of milk, while watching Curious George.  I need more than 1 distraction with him.  With Ryder it's a challenge as he flails his arms around when nursing / taking the bottle and he sleeps on his tummy with his arms and hands tucked underneath himself.  It's almost 1 finger/day.
Melanie trims her girl's nails after the bath, when the nails are soft and she's relaxed.  Hmm, maybe I should try that.
Others mention wishing for them to magically trim themselves (yes, please!), while nursing, or while watching TV / movie.

So, for next week, I would love for you to tell me about your Favorite:



1. ... cocktail. (please include recipe)
2. ... outdoor activity with your child on a summer day (other than swimming).
3. ... kid's breakfast.
4. ... easy-to-put-together and fun kids' art project.
5. ... smelly feet remedy. (Edited: I should have said "...smelly KIDS' feet remedy" LOL!!)

signature2

13 comments:

Emily - faliLV said...

This is such a cute entry! I like seeing what other's have to say! Here are your answers for this week!
1.cocktail. (please include recipe)
I am a sucker for a dirty martini, but if I want something fruitier...
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink12299.html

2. ... outdoor activity with your child on a summer day (other than swimming). Storytime at the Library - gets us out of the heat, we pick new books to read for the week, and it wears my little man out!

3. ... kid's breakfast. Pumpkin and banana Buckwheat pancakes (use Plum Organics food pouch for a short cut)

4. ... easy-to-put-together and fun kids' art project. Handprint flowers - they melt the Grandmas everytime!

5. ... smelly feet remedy. A bath??
No?? Try this...
Soak your feet every day for a week in strong black tea for 30 minutes. Add two tea bags in a pint of water. Boil it for 10 minutes. Now add two quarts of cool water and soak your feet in the cool solution. The acid in the tea kills the bacteria...
Side note - toenails too hard to cut? Try putting vaporub on them at night and sleeping in socks. Your toenails will get much softer and easier to cut

Cap Creations said...

Stopping by from nff to say hi! Hope you have a great weekend!

Xenia said...

What a great list! My older daughter never had a problem with letting me trim her nails (still doesn't) but my younger one? I don't know if I've ever actually gotten to do them because the pulling and screeching just isn't worth it. :)

Thanks so much for joining us for Friendly Friday, have a wonderful weekend!

Kylie said...

This is really cool. I might join in next week! :)
www.aspiringmillionaire.com
www.savvymumma.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great List!
Fav Cocktail: Brachetto D'Acqui (purchase it) or Mojito
2. A nice long walk (for mommy) and time at the park
3. Cinnamon Toast w/ Cream Chees
4. We eat that stuff, so crafts are still out
5. bath
Have a great weekend!

Cakeblast said...

We love Cars and Finding Nemo too. Never thought of nail trimming after a bath.I am a new follower from Friday Follow! http://cakeblast.com

*~Petra~* said...

This is such a cute idea. I have to say that my absolutely favorite way to cut my teenagers nails is to have hubby hold them down and do it when they get long and they won't take the time to do it themselves. They aren't ususally very cooperative and it makes me laugh. :)

For this week:

1. I love virgin pina coladas... sorry, don't have a recipe. Just like to buy them for a treat when me and hubby are out.

2. Tramp jumping with the sprinklers or hose on is the best outside activity with teenagers... I have to admit I am usually on the deck watching, but it always gives me a good laugh. Not super safe though, so do at your own risk. (We have a net).

3. Donuts & Crumpets of course!!! ;)

4. My fav art project to do when I was little was rubbings of leaves. Just put different leaves under a sheet of paper (one at a time) and gently rub over them with different color crayons. They look so cute when they are done!

5. Definitely the dryer sheet in the shoe for this one!

Kelly's Lucky You said...

Hi!

I'm a new friday follower. I only have one little one - and my hands are full ;)

I hope you'll follow me back and while you're there, enter to win $200!

http://kellysluckyyou.com/2010/07/200-follower-giveaway-tour.html

Nice to meet you!

Kelly

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

1. I can't drink alcohol - puts me right to sleep. Can I count chocolate milk?

2. Our brand new favorite outdoor activity is laying in the shade on a blanket so we can look at the clouds and spot shapes there in the sky. Yesterday she saw Hello Kitty in a cloud.

3. Yogurt burst cheerios. EVERY MORNING.

4. Fold paper and staple to write your own book. We have so many of these things and they occupy her for an hour.

5. I've gotten away so far with just a good old nightly soap and water scrub. She's a sweet little girl, her feet hardly stink!

~SHANNON~ said...

Found you through Friday follow- and am your newest follower! I hope you'll come follow me back! Please? With a cherry on top?? :)


Shannon
milkandcuddles.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm following you back! :)

Kim

Shelley said...

New follower from Friendship Friday! Would love for you to come visit and follow me!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)
~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

www.shelleysswag.blogspot.com

Louise said...

Hey again!

Favorite drink. I'm really a beer and wine drinker usually - but one I have learnt how to make myself when I want to be fancy is the crantini - if I'm doing it in the shaker usually two shots of vodka, about double that of cran juice (I'm really not sure, I don't really measure anymore), and splash in the triple sec, add ice, shake and voila!

As for outdoor activities other than swimming ... tough .. we're a swimming family. It's what we do. I also walk her down to the park sometimes. I swear they have the same baby swings there from when I was little! She likes them too.

As for your other three - baby's still too young. But I'm a little concerned to know feet odor issues are coming. Sigh.

Looking forward to next week's wrap up!

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails